Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Internships

Students spent the last two weeks interning at different sites around Belize and staying with Belizean families.  This unique opportunity provided students with new and exciting experiences and also the chance to get to know the people and places around them a little bit better.  Below are blog entries written by each of the students.


Kandice O'Grady

I had the opportunity of working at the San Ignacio hotel and resort’s Green Iguana Project during my internship at CCSP. Going into my internship with the Green Iguana Project I had absolutely no experience with any reptiles, little alone iguanas, however the experience was amazing and allowed me to be exposed to Iguanas in a hands on way so that I left my internship with fantastic memories and plenty of reptile knowledge.

 The Green Iguana Project was established in order to educate the public about the Green Iguana, its habitat, and critical situation. So a really great thing about my internship was getting the opportunity to talk to the tourists and pass on the great things I was learning during my internship in hopes that they might do something positive for the Green Iguana and it’s habitat. Some of the most enjoyable visitors are the children groups that come for the Green Iguana tours. Not only were the children adorable and a joy to work with, but being the next generation, they play an essential role in the uncertain future for the Green Iguana. Internship weeks were so amazing because they not only give you the insight into Belizean occupation lifestyles, but you also get the chance to stay with a host family t
hroughout your entire internship. Overall my internship was one of the greatest and most memorable moments in my life I learned so much about Belizean life while learning tons about iguanas, and also discovering a whole lot more about myself. 


Autumn Brown

I have just spent two amazing weeks working at the Belize Botanical Gardens (BBG) and living with a Belizean family as part of the CCSP internship program.  The BBG is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  Everywhere you look there are new and exciting plants. I’ve never been one to get excited about plants, but these weeks have changed me. I can now point out, with confidence, pride, and even a little excitement, a heliconia, at least five different kinds of palms (such as the Madagascar Triangle Palm in the above picture), Brazilian Joy Weed, the Alpinia purpurata, the jippijabba, the Madagascar dragon tree, and so many others. It has given me new respect for the biodiversity ever present around me in Belize. 

Living with a Belizean family was unlike anything I’ve done before.  I enjoyed trying new and interesting foods, especially from their small orchard.  I had the juice from a fresh coconut and chewed on sugar cane.  I sampled a tamarind and squeezed fresh orange juice.  Noellia, my amazing host mother, taught me how to make flour and corn tortillas and was unbelievably patient with my very dusty Spanish.  These past two weeks have been one of the highlights of my time here so far.

1 comment:

AnastasiaRose said...

Kandice! I can't believe that you got to work with iguanas! That is so fantastic! I can't wait to hear all about your time in Belize! Miss you tons lovey! Much love!