Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nick at the Zoo


Nicholas Voss- Zoo Internship

 

            This internship was simply an amazing experience; I worked at the Belize Zoo for 2 weeks that seemed to have flown by so fast. As I write this at the end of my time there, the memories of a bittersweet departure are still fresh in my head. Amongst amazing and lifetime opportunities we formed strong friendships. The zookeepers were a joy to work with, and taught us so much from how the zoo works, from animals in the zoo to the birds all around us. They were also a strong insight to the cultures from which they come from, which was mostly Hispanic, or Mopan Mayan. We followed their duties closely through out the day. This included preparing food, cleaning cages, zoo upkeep, and of course the delivery of the foods to the animals. The opportunities to be so up close and personal with Scarlet Macaws, Tapirs, Anteaters, Jaguars, and many others, taught me a great deal of respect for both the animals and the ones who provide the care for them.

            During the work experience, staying with a Belizean family completed the cultural experience, completely immersing me into the Belizean culture. From work to quality family dinner conversation, I was easily able to practice both Spanish and Creole speaking, as well as grow close to the family. 

1 comment:

AnastasiaRose said...

Nick!! I am so glad that your internship went so well! I can't wait to hear all about it! miss you tons! God is truely blessing your trip! Much love!