Friday, April 4, 2008

Tyler Brown's Internship Report


by Tyler Brown

Kings Children Home has always been dedicated to assisting children in Belize who have lost their parents through death, have been abandoned, abused, or neglected helping them to become healthy, upright, and productive citizens.  They teach through Biblical example and instruction, fostering personal relationships between the children and God.  They hope to provide the opportunity for the children to have a meaningful life in a caring environment.   I was able to three weeks helping out at Kings which allowed me to see more of the true Belizean culture rather than just what the tourists see, it also helped me better understand the people and especially the language.  I was very amazed at the amount of order that was kept in the Home even though there were some fifty children living there.   My role while I was there was generally to help in the kitchen, preparing food or cleaning up around the place and also spending time with the children doing tutoring, having conversations, or simply playing with tem.  Since I have been there I am proud to say that I think I can cook rice from scratch and not have it be sticky or crunchy, and can understand Creole, the local language, far better than I could before. 

No comments: